If you’re an independent student, you may be able to get more student finance funding. Here’s how to qualify as an independent student.
2. What is an independent student?
An independent student is a student who is not claimed as a dependent. An independent student is usually over the age of 24, but there are other conditions that can make a student independent.
As an independent student, you can usually get more student loan money since your parent’s wage isn’t considered in a means-tested loan/grant.
3. How to qualify as an independent student
If you want to qualify as an independent student, you have to meet one of these criteria:
- you care for a person under the age of 18 on the first day of the academic year you’re applying for student finance
- you’re 25 or over on the first day of the academic year you’re applying for student finance
- you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year (even if you’re now divorced or separated)
- you have no living parents
- you’ve supported yourself for at least three years before the start of your course
There are some other criteria that can be found on the UCAS website.
It is very important to get all the funding available to you especially if you are studying demanding courses with limited funding like postgraduate medicine.
4. The benefits of being an independent student
The main benefit is that you will be provided with the maximum student loan available.
This can be £1000s more over the duration of your studies.
You may also be able to get additional loans or grants for childcare and hardship.
You will likely be flagged for contextual offers if you are applying for demanding courses like medicine which will lower your entry requirements.
You may be given a discount on your program for feeding, accommodation, or tuition.
There will be some evidence that needs to be submitted to qualify however this is often a straightforward and simple formality.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to get more student finance funding. Good luck!
Explore for yourself the world of non-traditional yet lucrative career options that could secure your path to financial success!